You can imagine my surprise when I was handed a nursery schedule at 9 months pregnant and even more surprised to see Josh and I on it. (towards the bottom, post baby of course) Josh and I have lived in the land of student ministry for the past 5 or so years. I work with middle school and Josh with high school/college and we know nothing of the adult world except what little I have heard from my parents or in the service. Apparently if you are a member and have a child you are automatically put in the rotation to keep your child’s age group during your respective service. I completely understand and am more than happy to take my turn, but our first Sunday in the nursery they just left us. No instructions, no notes, no training. I felt like that commercial, “don’t leave us with the babies!” I guess a certain level of knowledge is assumed, I have a child so I shouldn’t be completely clueless. But Ansley is only 3 months, I don’t have any experience past that point! There are 6 month olds in that room that are HUGE, they crawl, they eat more, they play differently. And I did some babysitting, but it was primarily older kids and I didn’t do it that often. I’m not one of those I-love-every-baby-I-see-let-me-hold-yours kind of person and Josh is DEFINITELY not. The first baby Josh ever held was his nephew and that’s because I made him and kids didn’t even fall on my radar until they were 2 and up moving around and talking. Josh and I have kept the nursery twice to date, the first time was at the end of December and there was only 1 other baby besides Ansley. (Did I mention Josh called dibs on taking care of our kid in the nursery? I quickly informed him that wasn’t how this worked.) I wish I had taken a picture, but we had the nursery again this past Sunday and at one point Josh had Ansley on 1 knee and another little girl on the other. It was adorable until one of them got upset and he couldn’t figure out how to get up with both of them. I so wish I had a camera. All I kept thinking was, “What in the world makes them think we are qualified?!?”
PS- all of the children survived our nursery duty and appeared to be no worse for the wear
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
that is so true. no instructions or training... just, here are the kids. have fun! :) they do have a list of things to do posted on the wall... like cleaning after use and emptying the trash. I think we should change the names in your post and put it on the desk... just so they'll know how some people feel.
If you get crazy in there you can call me... I'll find SOMEONE to help! :) ha!
Post a Comment