Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Week 18

Optimus is hitting the chart at five and a half inches long and weighs about five ounces (the weight of a boneless chicken breast). And now for the skill of the week (drum roll please…): The art of the yawn has been mastered by Optimus (and mom). In fact, we might catch a glimpse of that yawning action when I have my ultrasound this month (June 11th). Something we won't see on the ultrasound, but know is in working order, is his nervous system, which is maturing rapidly at this time. Nerves, now covered with a substance called myelin (which speeds messages from nerve cell to nerve cell), are forming more complex connections. And those in the brain are further specializing into the ones that serve the senses of touch, taste, smell, sight, and hearing. Speaking of hearing, Optimus’ is growing more acute, making him more conscious of sounds that come from inside my body (which means we could both be listening to each other hiccup — a skill that he has by now).

As I mentioned, our ultrasound is June 11th, at which point we can reveal the name and use the proper pro-noun! (if we aren’t already) It is amazing how much more real this pregnancy has become in the past few weeks. I look more pregnant than just full from a big meal and I am feeling more and more flutters. I can’t imagine the kind of reality check it will be to actually pray for Optimus by name and start planning the nursery. Blue or yellow? (sorry ladies and gentlemen, I don’t do pink) SEC defensive end or (gulp) cheerleader? Momma’s boy or Daddy’s little girl? It’s a good thing I have the gift of patience:)

And here is mom and baby at 17.5 weeks

No comments: