Six inches long this week and about eight ounces in weight, Optimus is the size of a large mango. My little action figure is able to choreograph Matrix-like moves at 19 weeks. Arms and legs are finally in proportion, neurons are now connected between the brain and muscles, and cartilage throughout the body is turning to bone. All these upgrades combine to give Optimus more control over limb movements. Which explains all that kicking, stretching, and bodysurfing (or rather bellysurfing) I’ve been feeling these days. Something else going on this week: Optimus is getting a cheesy varnish. (Gross, right?) Yup — a protective substance called vernix caseosa (vernix is the Latin word for varnish; caseosa is cheese) now covers his skin. It's greasy and white and is made up of lanugo (that downy hair), oil from his glands, and dead skin cells. This waxy "cheese" may not sound too appetizing or attractive, but it's there for good reason: Vernix protects Optimus’ sensitive skin from the surrounding amniotic fluid. Without it, he would look very wrinkled at birth (sort of what you'd look like if you soaked in a bath for nine months). Some babies — especially those born early — will still be covered with vernix at the delivery. (Since this is my first child and the fact that I was THREE WEEKS late, I don’t see Optimus coming a day sooner than October 28th)
As for me, my stomach continues to protrude and I am finding a few of my shirts are not long enough anymore to cover all of my stomach. I meant to have a picture to post with this entry, but that just didn’t happen (chalk it up to pregnancy brain). I’ll try my best to have one up this week.
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment