Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Week 35 and God's Provision

At about 20 inches and five and a half pounds (with about five more weeks to grow), most of Ansley's growth over the next month or so will be in weight, not height (she’s pretty much reached the in utero limit in that department). Accordingly, fat continues to accumulate at a rapid pace these days. Back in the middle of my pregnancy, Ansley's weight was made up of only two percent fat; now at 35 weeks pregnant, that percentage has soared to closer to 15 percent (and will increase to 30 percent at term). Which means her once skinny arms and legs are now quite squishy. Also continuing to grow at an amazing pace is her brain power. Luckily, the part that surrounds that amazing brain — the skull — remains soft. And for good reason: A soft skull will allow her to squeeze more easily through the birth canal.

I went to the doctor last Thursday and I am measuring right on track (34 cm at 34 weeks) and Ansley had a solid heart rate of 133. I go to doctor again next Thursday for my 36 week check up and will start going on a weekly basis from then on out to check my progress. (side rant: I know doctors get behind and things come up, but I spent over an hour in the waiting room last week. An HOUR. For a 15 minute appointment. And it only makes it worse knowing that I will be back next Thursday and there is a distinct possibility of it happening again. I feel like I am spending way to much of life in the waiting room.) But on to happier things…

One thing that God has reminded Josh and I of during this pregnancy is His awesome provision. After God’s hand clearly guiding and taking care of us thru 5 years of marriage and going on the 4th year of school for Josh, with example after example of His provision, it is a little embarrassing to admit that I still worry. Ansley was an unexpected little blessing and even though we were excited about having a baby, it was hard to not run numbers in my mind (especially after I saw what baby stuff cost!). You see, we had a plan and timeline worked out that was going to be perfect, and when that timeline was changed I had a hard time adapting. It was obvious God was working on a different schedule than we were and you would think that His obvious “divine intervention” would have only provided more re-assurance as to His sovereignty and provision. Nope. I was still a little concerned about the working out of all the details. But as Josh and I stood in our living room looking at the UNBELIEVABLE amount of gifts we had just unloaded from the church shower (the 3rd shower we have been given), it was obvious that God had not only met our needs, He had blessed us beyond our wildest imagination. My daughter doesn’t just have somewhere to sleep, she has a beautiful brand new crib. She doesn’t just have a stroller, she has the Cadillac of car seat/stroller combos. She doesn’t just have a few onesies and toys, she has a closet full of beautiful clothes and nursery full of things for her to play with. I have once again had to humbly go to my Father and apologize for doubting Him and thank Him for His incredible goodness. And I can’t help but picturing Him shaking His head and smiling, saying “Kid, I love doing it.”

Oh you young worrisome sparrow, find rest
Lay your battered head upon my omnipresent breast and make it your nest
No strong cold wind could ever blow and carry you from this your home
Look around, see the life shooting up from the ground
Spring colors springing fourth and celebration of your trusting

~Bradley Hathaway~


"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

~Matthew 6:25-33~

1 comment:

The Hudgins said...

sweet testimony. i know you guys are thrilled...are you planning on staying @ namb? if they'd only put in that on site childcare, right?!?!