Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Week 11

Slightly more than 2 inches long now and weighing about a third of an ounce, Optimus is growing by leaps and bounds. And so is his head, which is equal in length to the rest of the body (don't worry- I read that this is normal:). On the crown of that large head (and over the rest of the body), hair follicles are forming. Fingernail and toenail beds begin to develop this week and by next week, the nails themselves will start to grow. Optimus's body is straightening and his torso is lengthening. Other poses Optimus can assume now: stretches, somersaults, and forward rolls. And while we can't tell Optimus's gender by its cover yet, testes are developing if it's a boy and ovaries if it's a girl.

As for me, I am counting down the days until the first trimester is over! Compared to some of the horror stories that I have heard, I have had it relatively easy (okay really easy), but I would just like to feel a little more “normal” (not to mention there is something about making it thru the first trimester that relieves some of that paranoia and worry). The need to eat all the time to ward off morning sickness is getting better and I am getting some energy back, but I am definitely not at 100%. My newest symptom is lower back pain. The doctor told me this might be an issue for me during my pregnancy because of the way my uterus is tilted. Since it is tilted towards my spine, as it grows and stretches it puts a little extra pressure on my lower back. It’s nothing too serious right now, more of an inconvenience, but I am a little concerned as to what this means a few months down the road.

I go to the doctor next week (the 16th) and should be able to hear Optimus’s heart beat (and then make guesses as to whether it’s a boy or girl:). Speaking of boy or girl, the general consensus is girl. My mom, mother-in-law, cousin, and myself have all had dreams that it is a girl. I don’t know if that means anything or not, but it’s all we have to go on right now:)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I'll try to dream that its a boy tonight.... I'll let you know how it goes :).

Jessica said...

I didn't dream of your baby, but I had a little girl in the dream. Scarry!!!!