Friday, April 17, 2009

The 12 week appointment

The doctor’s appointment yesterday was great! I have gained 5 lbs since I found out I was pregnant and it all seems to be concentrated right on my stomach. I think it is a huge change, but no one seems to agree with me. (I have been known to be a little… “animated” :) I don’t look pregnant yet, just like I’ve eaten too much at a big dinner, but the doctor assured me I was right on target. (I’ll post pictures eventually) We also got to hear little Optimus’ heart beat! It sounded just as fast as it looked last time! We were told it was a very strong heart beat and it was at 168 beats a minute. People at work have told me that is on the high end and it means it is a boy, but I’m a pretty spastic individual so it could be a girl that takes after her mom :)

I am definitely feeling better these days, the queasiness is all but gone and most of the energy is back. The lower back pain is still there but they told me yesterday that it should start to disappear in a week or 2. And is it too early for “pregnancy brain”? I’ve been so scattered brained these days.

As for Optimus’ development, he weighs a full half-ounce and is about the size of a large plum. Most of his systems are in place, his fetal digestive system is beginning to practice contraction movements so he can eat someday, and his bone marrow is busy making white blood. The pituitary gland (at the base of the brain) has started producing the hormones that'll enable him to make babies of his own in a couple of decades or so.

No comments: